Document templates (also known as RTFs) are used as an alternative to AroFlo's standard layouts. They are useful in cases where you require a more creative layout consisting of a coloured background, watermark, tables or non-standard fonts.
Creating a document template is a two-part process:
- Create a custom layout in AroFlo for the purpose of generating and exporting the information (data fields) required for the document template.
- Create or use an existing document in Microsoft Word, paste in the data fields exported from the custom layout and upload.
Creating RTF layouts requires an intermediate level of knowledge of Microsoft Word. We can help you with the AroFlo-related components of RTF layouts (e.g. how to place the fields into your Word document), but we can't instruct you in the use of Word.
If you prefer that we create your layouts for you, please see Document Creation Requests for instructions on how to make your request.
Create a custom layout
In order to generate the information you require for the document template, you first need to create a custom layout within AroFlo and export the data fields.
- Preview a layout that best suits your requirements.
Check the preview to ensure the layout contains all of the information you would like to include in your document template.
- From the Toolbox, click Customise.
- Click Save/Remove, enter a new name for the layout and click Save As.
- You can add any new data elements that may be required.
- Click Layout Setup and change the Layout Template Type to 'Document Template'. Click OK to confirm.
- Click Save / Remove, then Save.
Copy the data fields
There are two ways to get your data fields out of your custom layout in AroFlo and into your RTF document template:
- double-click the fields in the custom layout to copy them, or
- export all the fields at once into a web browser and copy them from there.
Double-click to copy
In the Toolbox, click Layout Setup. Under Copying Elements, make sure Double-Click to Copy is selected. Then, simply double-click a layout element and paste it into your RTF document template.
If you double-click to copy a table element, AroFlo will add a header row to it when you paste the element into your Word file.
Clicking Enable Text Selection allows the mouse to select text, instead of moving elements.
Export to copy
To export all your custom layout fields at once:
To add a barcode to an RTF layout, see Add Elements to a Document Template.
Example of Exported Fields
Create or use an existing document
You can create a document template from scratch using Microsoft Word or modify an existing Word document that you might already be using for a specific purpose, such as an invoice, quote or compliance form.
Document template layouts work best when they are created using Microsoft Word and the file size is < 5Mb.
- Open your document in Microsoft Word.
- Copy each data field you require from the exported fields tab and paste (text only) into your Word document.
If a data element has a [ table ] in its description, you will need to add a table to your Word document (if you don't already have one) and paste the data element into a cell within the table. This is a requirement when adding any table data elements to a document template to ensure table information from the layout is exported successfully when you print to PDF.
- Once you've finished building your document template, go to File > Save as and change the Save as type to Rich Text Format (.RTF)
Word for Mac
If you're a Mac user, please ensure that you are creating or editing the document in Word. You can set your Mac to automatically open the document in Word by following these steps:
- Right-click the file name in Finder.
- Select Get Info.
- In the Open with dropdown, select Word from the list.
Upload the document template (.RTF)
Your RTF document template can now be uploaded to the custom layout within AroFlo.
File Size Limit
RTF templates have a physical filesize limit of 5 MB (5,242,880 bytes). When you select your file, AroFlo will pre-process it and remove uncompressed images which greatly reduces the overall file size. If you are still unable to upload your template, please contact Customer Service.
Document Templates in Online Views
Online views do not display the content created in an RTF file. Clients can download the PDF version of their invoice or quote through their online link and will be able to see the layout based on your RTF that way using the Download PDF button.
Layouts with an RTF Document Template include a setting to Use Layout Preview for Online View. If your layout preview is not suitable for an online view, leave this setting unticked, and AroFlo will display a generic layout in the Online view to download the document as a PDF.
Print the document template layout
To print the document template layout you have just uploaded, you first need to preview the custom layout to generate the required information. This information will be exported to the document template layout when you print to PDF, Word or RTF.
- Select the custom layout.
- Click Preview to generate the information required for the document template layout.
The preview on your screen will show the custom layout, not the linked document template layout.
- Click Print and select one of the options, i.e. PDF, Word, RTF.
- Click the file name button to download and open the file.
If text was entered in HTML format within AroFlo, this formatting will be retained when exported to the document template layout and will override any formatting set within the document template.